Saturday, August 6, 2011

Three Names From the Past

Fads come and go in many areas, including school supplies. Loose leaf notebooks and composition books have come with many different things on their covers, from super heroes and cartoon characters to psychedelic patterns. Each generation has had it's own favorites depending on what was then in vogue or popularity. Even gender was a factor in what the student chose for their own personal use with girls choosing Barbie covers and other female characters. It was not always so. I remember in first grade there was but one option, a three ring binder usually had a blue canvas cover and composition books invariably had the picture of a horse on the cover and the name, of course, was Blue Horse.



The Blue Horse brand of products included loose leaf binders, writing tablets, composition books and loose leaf paper. The Blue Horse also served as a coupon which could be saved to obtain a host of things, similar to the then in vogue S & H Green Stamps and Community Coffee coupons. One of the contests held was for a bicycle pictured in the loose leaf filler above. The ones who sent in the most coupons were eligible for a limited number of bicycles to given away. However, there was one popular item that only took a few coupons to receive and that was the Blue Horse Beanie.

Let's now jump ahead a few years to the early 1960's and another product that was in vogue for a while. How many remember the name Nifty? That was the name of an innovative loose leaf binder that used a magnetic closure device instead of the more common spring closure device. in fact the full name was the Nifty Magnetic Space Saver binder. There were two models; one featured top loading paper and the other the more common side loading. It took some doing to locate them but here are two pictures showing a version of each.



Now that two names are accounted for what is the third one you may ask. Well, we had to get those
Nifty binders from some place and one of the more popular places was the local T G & Y. Every city back then had at least one local outlet and it was the place we often went for a host of things, from model airplanes to school supplies. Many a teenagers allowance was probably spent at the Local T G & Y for a host of things that teenagers are wont to buy.


Ah, the memories. They're all gone now except for those few bits of ephemera that still survive. They were part of our past and now are part of our memories.

9 comments:

  1. If anybody has one that would like to let go of: I would LOVE to have/buy it. Cindy 818.701.0238 I have the best most conscious memories of that time and I am now 63 years old. I had a light blue one and I LOVED it. I promise I will love it and use it, everyday. I remember the magnetic Nifty Binder very very well with many fond memories! Please call me if you have one that you are not too interested in keeping. I would so enjoy having another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one in Ohio. How interested are you doglo@bright.net.









      oglo@

      Delete
    2. NOT SEEKING TO PAY MORE THAN $10.

      Delete
    3. ONLINESHOPPING1917@GMAIL.COM. I AM INTERESTED IN THE BROWN ONE THAT OPENS FROM THE TOP. NOT THE GREEN ONE.

      Delete
  2. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR ONE FOR YEARS. MY OLDER BROTHER HAD ONE LIKE THE BROWN ONE, THAT OPENS FROM THE TOP. i'D SURE LIKE TO HAVE THIS. WHERE CAN i ORDER IT FROM?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m interested in the top one looks like a teal color. I am 73 years old and I like to have one like I used to have for my papers. Is there anyway you can open the notebook up so I can look inside at the different compartment. Then we can talk about price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My offer is $20 dollars first I like to see more pictures of the notes book.
    817-564-1566

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a serious buyer, mine I had was stolen out of my garage a few years ago, I do pen review and this is a blast from the past. Call me my offer stands $25.00 817564-1566 on e mail me at larry0711@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to purchase a blue side loading one for my wife. My email address is splitrok62@aol.com thank you.

    ReplyDelete